Recipe by Sarah Phillips and Kelly Hong; Food styling and photos by Kelly Hong © 2009 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
This recipe can be flavored any way you desire. For orange, simply exchange the lemon zest for 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel, for example, use 1/4 teaspoon orange extract with 2 - 3 drops of orange gel food coloring.
10 ounces white chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces or chocolate chips; do NOT use candy melts. Use an excellent quality chocolate.
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
2-3 drops yellow gel food coloring, optional
1. Heat the cream in the microwave, or in a pot, till it reaches a gentle boil.
2. Pour hot cream oven chocolate, and gently shake bowl to cover the chocolate with the cream.
3. Add the lemon zest and let the mixture sit for about one minute, to soften.
4. Stir the mixture, in one direction, and then gently whisk to combine.
5. Add lemon extract, and gel food coloring, if desired.
6. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache is firm enough to pipe.
Store, covered, at room temperature for a day. Then refrigerate for a few days.