Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2007 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Cupcakes and photo by sugarpie, Premium Member © Sarah Phillips
Cupcakes and photo by lynne956, Premium Member © Sarah Phillips
Cupcakes and photo by lynne956 , Premium Member© Sarah Phillips
2 cups bleached cake flour; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup milk, whole or 2%; can be cold from the refrigerator
2 large eggs; can be cold from the refrigerator
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Position the oven shelf to the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease. Make sure the top of the muffin tin is wiped clean of grease.
2. In mixer bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Turn on low to combine.
3. Turn the mixer on low speed, mix in butter, milk, eggs and vanilla until incorporated.
4. Beat on high speed until smooth, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Do NOT overbeat.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling about three-quarters full.
6. Bake about 18 minutes or until the top feels firm and gives slightly when touched. If you insert a toothpick in the middle and remove, there should be a few moist crumbs attached, but not batter.
Transfer cupcakes to wire cake rack and let cool completely.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be stored in airtight container for a couple of days or frozen for a month or more. Refrigerate if using a perishable filling or frosting.
Reduce cake flour by 1/2 cup and add in 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted (sift after measuring) with the flour.
Bake as directed.