Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2006 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Cheesecake and photo by slashfood.com
I thought this Tie-Dyed Chocolate Cake Cheesecake Recipe would be fun to share! It sits on a thin cake layer made fro a mix. I have adapted it from slashfood.com
CHEESECAKE RECIPE HELP
Chocolate Cake Crust:
1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (or white cake or any flavor cake mix)
16 ounces cream cheese; preferably Philadelphia Brand
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1. Prepare according to box directions.
2. Pour 1/2 of cake mix into a greased 9-inch springform pan and bake according to the directions on the box for a 9-inch layer cake. Make cupcakes with extra batter.
3. Allow cake layer to cool completely in the pan. Set aside.
1. Position and oven shelf in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and almond extract on low speed until smooth. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl often. Beat in eggs, one at a time until just incorporated. And, add in sour cream.
3. Divide mixture into 5 small bowls to be tinted. Suggested colors for each one: pink, yellow, blue, green and purple. Pour batters onto cake base in the 9-inch springform pan. With a few passes of a table knife, swirl it through the colors taking care not not swirl too much, so the colors will be clearly visible and won't turn brown when mushed together. Tale care not to drag the knife on the cake layer.
4. Bake 35 minutes, until the very center is just about set when you jiggle the pan. Remove to a wire cake rack and cool completely. Refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours before serving. When chilled and firm, run a knife the cake to release it before removing sides of pan.