Sweet Potato Rolls
Recipe by Orange Piggy © 2010 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Rolls and photo by Orange Piggy, Premium Member © 2010 Sarah Phillips
These soft homemade rolls are filled with sweetened sweet potato filling and black sesame seeds.
BREAD RECIPE HELP
4g Instant Active Dry Yeast
100 ml warm water; warmed to 120 – 130 degrees F measured with an instant read thermometer
20 g sugar
20 g egg, save the remaining egg for egg wash
200 g bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
20 g butter, soften
200 g cooked sweet potato, mashed (I steamed the sweet potato until soft)
20 g sugar
20 g corn syrup or maple syrup or rice syrup
3 to 4 tablespoons black sesame seeds, roasted
Make the filling:
1. Mix all filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Shape the filling into 8 American football shapes with tapered and pointed ends, set aside.
2. Roast the sesame seeds in a non-stick pan, toss with a rubber spatula until fragrance (be careful don't roast them until burnt) or buy roasted sesame seeds from health food shop.
Make the bread dough:
1. In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand for 6 minutes. Add sugar, egg, half of the flour and mix on low speed for 1 minutes. Mix the salt with the remaining flour and add to the mixture and then add the butter. Knead on low speed for 3-4 minutes.
2. Increase to medium speed and continue kneading for 7 minutes. After 5 minutes, check if the dough still sticks to the bowl. If it does, add in more flour, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl.
3. Finish the kneading by hand for a few minutes and transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Wrap the bowl tightly with a plastic wrap and let rest for 40-60 minutes or until double in size.
4. Transfer the dough to a lightly flour surface and deflate it. Divide the dough into 6 to 8 equal portions. (about 60 grams each) Let rest for 10 minutes.
Make the rolls and fill. Bake:
1. Roll each portion out into an oval shape. Place the filling into the center and wrap the dough around the filling. Pinch the seam shut.
2. Cut in half and brush the surface of the filling with beaten egg. Sprinkle the surface of the filling with black sesame seeds.
3. Put the shaped rolls on a cookie sheet lined with a parchment (not waxed) paper and let rise for 40 minutes or until double in size.
4. Position an oven shelf to the middle of the oven. *Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
5. Brush the rolls with beaten egg.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. The filling will stick out from the bread.
7. Let cool on a wire cake rack. Cool completely or can serve slightly warm.
1 day at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftover for up to 2 days
Tagssweet potato roll bread
Simple Chocolate Ganache, Step-by-Step
28435 views| 0 comments
Seven Minute Mocha Frosting
9827 views| 1 comments
Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte
7635 views| 0 comments