Recipe by Sarah Phillips and Kelly Hong; Food styling and photos by Kelly Hong © 2012 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Most guys I know love crunchy salty snacks. These delicious spiced mixed nuts kick it up a notch with a touch of heat. If you don't want to add the spicy element, you could always leave it out.
Follow our packaging suggestion print-out, included with the recipe, for a quick, easy, and DELICIOUS Father's Day gift for the dad in your life.
NUTS AND SEEDS INGREDIENT HELP
3 cups raw mixed nuts of your choice (I used the 16 oz. mixed nuts from Trader Joe's, which was just the right amount for the recipe)
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1/4 cup dark or light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
5-7 dashes of hot sauce, or 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon, depending on how spicy you want them to be (I used Crystal brand hot sauce), optional
DOWNLOAD: packaging suggestion and PRINT the label sheet out onto white card stock.
STEP I: MAKE THE NUTS
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat nonstick liner.
Position an oven shelf in the middle. Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Put the nuts in a large bowl.
3. Add the egg white.
Add the brown sugar. Told you it was easy!
Add the Chinese 5 spice powder.
Add the salt.
Lastly, add in the hot sauce.
4. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, with a large spoon or your hands.
5. Spread nuts out on the prepared baking sheet, in a single layer.
5. Bake nuts:
a. Bake nuts for 10 minutes, then remove pan from oven and stir nuts thoroughly.
b. Put pan back in oven, bake for 10 more minutes, stir again.
c. Put pan back in oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Remove pan to rack, to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container for about a week.
STEP II: PACKAGE NUTS FOR FATHER'S DAY
You will need:
4-inch Translucent Chinese take-out box(from a craft store)
1 plain or decorated cellophane bag (11.5-x5-inches, measured flat)
7-8-inch piece of coordinating ribbon
Rotary cutter or sharp scissors and a steady hand
Double-sided tape or small glue dots
1. When nuts are cool, spoon them into a cellophane bag, then drop the bag into a decorative Chinese food-style gift box.
2. Tie the bag closed with a coordinating ribbon, then push the top of the bag down and close the box.
3. DOWNLOAD: packaging suggestion and PRINT the label sheet out onto white card stock.
Cut out a label for the front and top of the gift box.
We have included several labels on the sheet, in case you have several dads to give to, or if you make a mistake while cutting the labels out.
4. Use double sided tape to secure the labels to the box.
5. That's all there is to it!
These make a nice budget-friendly and tasty gift for Father's Day.