Recipe by Sarah Phillips and Kelly Hong; Food styling and photos by Kelly Hong © 2007 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
“I Heart Strawberries” Cupcakes photo by Kelly Hong © Sarah Phillips
Ultimate Peanut Butter Cake and photo by EagerBaker © Sarah Phillips
This works really well as a filling. We use it to fill the “I Heart Strawberries” Cupcakes. It makes a great filling for the Ultimate Peanut Butter Cake Recipe - peanut butter and jelly, anyone?
FROSTING, ICING, ETC RECIPE HELP
You can use frozen strawberries, but first, make sure you thaw them, and then drain before using. Discard or use the strawberry juice in a drink!
1 1/4 cups whole strawberries; makes about 2/3 cups pureed strawberries
2 - 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar; depending on the sweetness of your berries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup COLD water
1. Puree whole strawberries in the food processor.
Measure 2/3 cup of strawberry puree, to use in the filling, and pour that into a small saucepan.
2. Heat mixture, over medium heat, stirring, and add sugar. Taste after first two tablespoons of sugar are added, to make sure it is sweet enough, before adding more.
3. Make the cornstarch mixture:
A. Place water in a small cup.
B. Add the cornstarch and stir to combine.
4. When strawberry mixture comes to a low boil, slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly, so you don't get lumps.
5. Gently boil mixture for about one minute, stirring. It should be thickened and no longer look opaque.
Pour filling into a bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface, so a skin does not form. Place in refrigerator to cool.
Store in the refrigerator for a week. Reheat under gentle heat.