Recipe by Sarah Phillips; Food styling and photos by Kelly Hong © 2-2-2016 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Wine adds so much flavor to recipes. We created this to go with our Sweet-Tart Apple Whole Wheat Pastries recipe. Give it a try - it adds so much depth of flavor and color! How to: Alcohol Burn-off Chart.
FROSTING, ICING ETC HELP
1 cup full bodied red wine, we used Zinfandel
1 small cinnamon stick
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pinch salt (1/8 teaspoon)
1. Put wine a cinnamon stick in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it is reduced by half.
Pour the reduced wine back into the measuring cup, then remove cinnamon stick.
Set aside to cool.
2. Add sugar and water to a medium saucepan, place pan on medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
3. Bring to a boil, wiping down any sugar crystals with a wet brush.
You may occasionally swirl the pan, but do not stir the mixture.
4. Continue heating until the sugar mixture reaches an amber color, then immediately remove it from the heat, and add the reduced spiced wine.
Stir the mixture thoroughly.
NOTE: The mixture is very hot and it will create a lot of steam when you add the wine. Do this step very carefully!
5. Add the butter, stirring until combined, then add the cream and vanilla.
Stir until the color is uniform.
7. Pour hot caramel into a mason jar to let cool.
Cover and store in the refrigerator for a week or more.
Rewarm by microwaving in the Mason jar or in a microwave safe bowl, for about 20 seconds or until the sauce is warm.