Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Variations: Savory Whole Wheat Apple Cheddar-Rosemary Bran Bread; Savory Whole Wheat Apple Cheddar-Salsa Bread
It's such a delight to bake a recipe using whole wheat flour, cheddar cheese and loaded with all kinds of variable ingredients, such as chopped green olives, chives, salsa, etc. This goes so well for dinner with homemade soup and a simple salad. The beauty of this recipe is that you can flavor it anyway desired.
QUICK-BREAD RECIPE HELP
I like to cool bread and quick-bread loaves on their side instead of on their bottom, which is the hottest part; I find it helps prevent condensation from forming between the bread's bottom and the countertop, creating unwanted moistened bottoms.
1 cup white whole wheat flour; spoon into dry measuring cup and level to rim
3/4 cup whole wheat or unbleached all-purpose flour; spoon into dry measuring cup and level to rim
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper; SARAH SAYS: I prefer to use ground white pepper.
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) melted butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese or other hard cheese
1/2 cup (1 medium) shredded Granny Smith apple; shred and then measure
1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts (optional); chop, measure and then toast
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary or sage (optional)
1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter an 8- x 4 1/2- x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan.
SARAH SAYS: You can use a 9- x 5- x 2 3/4-inch pan,but your quick-bread will be lower in height and you'll have to check it for doneness a little earlier.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and peppers. Make a well in the center and set aside.
3. In a medium size mixing bowl; whisk together the eggs for about 30 seconds, until they're foamy and blended. Whisk in the milk, canola oil, melted butter and honey.
4. Pour the wet ingredients in the well of the dry ingredients and, using a large rubber spatula, gently FOLD until JUST blended.
SARAH SAYS: DO NOT OVERMIX. The batter will be lumpy; it's ok.
FOLD in the cheese, grated apples, toasted walnuts, and minced rosemary, if you're using it. Turn the stiff dough into the prepared pan and even the top.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the bread is golden and a slender knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with a few moist crumbs but not batter.
SARAH SAYS: Make sure when checking the bread for doneness, that you do not insert the knife into a cheesy section; try and find an area that's mostly bread.
Transfer the pan to a cooling rack for about 5 minutes. To unmold, run a knife around the sides of the pan and invert onto a wire cake rack. Let the bread cool on its side.
The bread keeps for about 2 days at room temperature, well-wrapped, or for up to 2 months in the freezer.
Savory Whole Wheat Apple Cheddar-Rosemary Bran Bread: Instead of 1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts, use bran flakes, instead. Dry blend them in with the flour. Bake the recipe as directed.
Savory Whole Wheat Apple Cheddar-Salsa Bread: in place of 1 tablespoon finely minced rosemary, add in flavorings up to 1/4 cup - I like to add in 1/4 cup salsa. When I do, I also add in 1/2 cup caramelized onions with 1/2 cup chopped black olives, and eliminate the walnuts. (Keep the shredded apples in the recipe for moistness.)