Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2009 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Variation: White Wine Cupcakes
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 cup unsweetened natural cocoa; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter; can be cold from the refrigerator
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs; can be cold from the refrigerator
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups red wine
2 cups (6 ounces) semi or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the cakes:
1. Position an oven shelf to the middle and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Fill cupcake tins with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, after measuring, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, soften the butter and then, add in the sugar, slowly at the side of the bowl with the mixer on low.
With the mixer on medium to medium-high, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing on low for 30 seconds after each. Add in the vanilla extract.
5. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the red wine and beginning and ending with the flour in two additions. Mix on low until thoroughly incorporated.
Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer, and with a large rubber spatula, give the batter a few quick turns, making sure you reach the bottom of the bowl.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake tins.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To make the glaze:
1. Heat the chocolate, butter, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over very low heat until shiny and smooth.
2. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
3. Spoon over the tops of the cooled cupcakes.
The cupcakes keep for a couple of days. The preferable storage is in the refrigerator, to prevent mold from forming, because of they are very moist.
White Wine Cupcakes
Use 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour for the cocoa powder (so, recipe uses a total of 3 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour)
Use 2 teaspoons baking powder with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for the 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
Use 1 1/4 cups white wine for the 1 1/4 cups red wine
Mix and bake as directed.