Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2009 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Variations: Asian Whole Wheat Savory Pizzelles; Mexican Whole Wheat Savory Pizzelles
I decided to develop savory pizzelles. This took all of my food science knowledge to be able to develop this recipe properly; they are usually cookie-like sweet recipes. I wanted to develop a recipe without sugar, because this was to be a savory one. I also wanted to use white whole wheat flour, instead of all-purpose, which you can readily substitute in this recipe, if desired. White whole wheat flour can be difficult to use in a recipe such as this one, because it has a drying effect, and I worked hard on getting the right fat and water amounts in the recipe to help compensate. I wanted a recipe that browned nicely for appeal and flavor and had a slight crunch, but could still be molded.
I tried lots of existing savory pizzelle and none worked well to my liking; the dough was either too thick from too much flour or the recipe cracked endlessly when rolled. Also, the flavor was not present at all or they were too eggy. Some had some sugar in them which ruined the savory flavor. A few recipes did not brown at all, leaving a bland looking color. Others just did not work at all. I went through dozens and dozens of eggs testing recipes!
I am proud of this recipe development, and I have also included my Grilled Chicken Salad Filling Recipe to make to stuff your pizzelles with.
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim. Do not use WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water*
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh herbs, such as parsley, fresh basil, sage, etc.
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
*or, try vegetable juice or chicken stock, instead of water, as whole milk suggests
1. In a medium size bowl. combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Preheat your pizzelle iron.
3. Combine eggs, water and milk in a medium bowl, and beat with a hand-held mixer on medium high until frothy.
Then, with the mixer on low, in a stream at the side of the bowl, first add in the canola oil, and then, the melted and cooled butter. Beat for 30 seconds after both have been added, until well-combined.
4. Add in herbs and parmesan cheese to the egg mixture and beat on low until well-combined.
5. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a spoon. Then, beat the batter, with a hand-held mixer on low, for 15 seconds, until the batter is smooth. It will be slightly thick.
6. Optionally, spray the Pizzelle iron with nonstick cooking spray.
7. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter, or what is needed to make 1 Pizzelle, in center of each grid and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
8. Immediately remove and cool on a rack for a flat pizzelle, or let sit a few seconds and then roll around a dowel rod for a fancier shape. Let sit on a wire cake rack to cool and harden for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Store well packaged in plastic containers in the freezer for several months.
To reheat, wrap pizzelles in aluminum foil; heat in 250 degrees F oven until warm.
Asian Flavor: Use curry or Chinese five-spice
Mexican: Add in cilantro instead of parsley
GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD
4 boneless chicken breast halves with skin
salt and pepper to taste
1 small apple, unpeeled and cored
1/4 cup walnut halves
1/4 cup (packed) fresh tarragon leaves, chopped; measure and then, chop
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup mayonnaise, or more to taste
1. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush chicken breasts on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until grill marks form, skin is crisp, and chicken is cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to work surface; let rest 5 minutes.
2. Cut grilled chicken breasts crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices, and then cut into cubes. Add to a medium size bowl.
3. Chop apple and add to chicken. Add walnuts, tarragon and parsley leaves to chicken. Toss ingredients.
4. Add about 1/4 cup mayonnaise, or more, to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Spoon a scoop into each Pizzelle cones right before serving.