Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2007 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
This recipe makes a syrupy version of Dulce de Leche to swirl in recipes and pours like honey. This takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to make. A thicker version of this recipe that comes from baking, either in the oven or in a crockpot, is traditionally used as a filling for cakes or to line pie shells later filled with sweet custard. You can make your own, or buy premade Dulce de Leche from the grocery store, gourmet or specialty food stores or from Mexican food markets.
The following dulce de leche recipe is made using whole milk and sugar, taking about two hours. Find out why we add baking soda to the recipe. In fact, dulce de leche is so tempting that you may find it hard to resist a spoonful straight from the pan.
FROSTING, ICING, ETC RECIPE HELP
Recipe is used with the:
Dulce de Leche Swirled Cheesecake
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is added to prevent coagulation of proteins as the pH of the mixture decreases and the isoelectric pH of proteins increases during heating. ARTICLE
2 cups whole or 2% milk (do not use 1% or skim milk)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a heavy 5- or 6-quart saucepan with at least 4 1/2- to 5-inch sides, stir the milk and sugar over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is boiling. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the baking soda. Be aware that the mixture will bubble and rise to the top of the pan, but will eventually fall back down.
2. Reduce the heat to low to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently with a heatproof spatula. Don't scrape the side of the pan. The pot will look like a mess, but will clean easily if soaked with hot, soapy water.
3. Cook about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the mixture is amber colored and syrupy, but thinner than maple syrup, and is reduced to about 1 cup. It should coat the back of a spoon.
4. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a heatproof glass bowl; discard residue. Stir in the vanilla.
5. Let the mixture cool about a half hour before using. It will thicken as it cools.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.