Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
1 purchased graham cracker crust or prepare one, Graham Cracker Pie or Tart Crust for an 8- or 9-inch pie shell
1 pint vanilla ice cream
4 – to 5 oranges (Valencia Oranges are my favorite); Prepare the oranges: Zest one and section two, use the remaining 2 –3 for juice. Juice from the oranges, should measure 1 cup
2 tablespoons sugar
1 package (1/4 ounce) unflavored gelatin
1 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks and chilled
1. Prebake the graham cracker crust at 375 degrees F for about 6 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool thoroughly on a wire cake rack before using.
2. Soften the ice cream at room temperature; stir constantly until smooth and spreadable; do not let melt.
Carefully spread in an even layer in the crust. Set in the freezer.
3. Section the two oranges, lay the sections on top of the ice cream layer and return to the freezer. Juice the others to measure 1 cup juice.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the orange juice, zest from one orange and the sugar. Stir to dissolve.
Sprinkle the gelatin on the top of the juice and stand 5 minutes to soften. Heat over a low heat until the gelatin is just dissolved.
5. Chill over an ice bath stirring constantly or in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes until the mixture resembles egg whites.
6. Fold into the whipped cream and immediately spread on top of the ice cream in the pie shell.
7. Freeze several hours before serving.
Slice into wedges with a clean knife, wipe clean between slices and serve while frozen.
Store in the freezer for about 1 month, well-wrapped.