Recipe by Sarah Phillips and Kelly Hong; Food styling and photos by Kelly Hong © 2012 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Variation: Peanut Butter Teddy Bear Sandwich Cookies
These blue-eyed Siamese cat cookies are so adorable, and tasty too. Peanut butter sandwich cookies are filled with creamy peanut butter filling and then decorated with chocolate and candy melts. You can also use the Red Velvet Sandwich Cookie Recipe tinted in any color, if you like.
COOKIE RECIPE HELP
1 recipe Peanut Butter Teddy Bear Sandwich Cookie dough and filling
1 Cat head cookie cutter 2 1/2 - 3-inches across
NOTES: I got this cat cookie cutter in a Halloween cookie cutter assortment but you can find similar ones here, here or here.
About 20-24 Semi-sweet chocolate chips- for noses
1 bag Hershey's Milk Chocolate Baking Melts- for snouts
1/4 cup blue Wilton Candy Melts
About 50 Blue M&Ms - for eyes
1 Black edible ink marker
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 teaspoon shortening
1. Follow the baking and cooling directions for the Peanut Butter Teddy Bear Sandwich Cookies, except use the Cat head cookie cutter to cut your shapes with.
2. While cookies are baking prepare the noses by trimming a little off one side of 20-24 semi-sweet chocolate chips, so they have a flat side.
3. Place the baking melts on the better side of each pair of cookies, while they are still warm.
4. Take two M&Ms and gently press them into the warm cookie to create a little depression, then remove them.
NOTE: Some may crack, that's why you will need about 50 for extras.
5. Carefully place the trimmed chocolate chip "nose" on the cookie, pointy side down. Let the chocolate set.
6. Melt the blue Candy Melts and place a small dot in each depression. Working quickly, set two blue M&Ms in place, creating the eyes.
7. Draw the pupils on the eyes, using a black edible ink food marker. Repeat the above steps with all the cookie pairs.
8. Fill the cookies with the peanut butter filling and gently press the tops in place.
9. Melt the 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in a small wide bowl, then stir in the shortening.
10. Tip the bowl, then dip each of the cat's ears into the chocolate to coat.
Place cookies on a foil-lined baking sheet to set the chocolate.
Peanut Butter Teddy Bear Sandwich Cookies