Recipe by dillonsmimi, Premium Member © 2010 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
This is based on a Weight Watchers quick bread recipe.
I worked this recipe for nutritional content several times, as I could not believe what numbers I was getting! Calories 315 Fat 4.9 grams Fiber 7 grams for a huge muffin.
I have made this recipe multiple times and think I have it right. The oil flavorings go a long way to make the flavors pop, but you can omit it.
Most quick breads need to be mixed gently to avoid holes and tunnels, but I pretty much man-handle this batter with no ill effects.
QUICK-BREAD RECIPE HELP
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 cup all-purpose flour, spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup egg beaters or 4 large egg whites or 3 extra-large egg whites
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons vanilla/butter emulsion (also LorAnn Brand) or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon banana oil (I use the LorAnn Brand), optional
6 ripe bananas, large, well mashed
2 cups oats, old fashioned
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the muffin pan(s) by spraying with nonstick oil.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour and dry ingredients together.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs and oil until an emulsion is formed, add flavorings and combine thoroughly.
4. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. (I just use a large whisk and a large spatula for this)
5. Add well mashed bananas and oatmeal. Combine thoroughly.
6. Stir in the blueberries. I use frozen berries so the batter doesn't turn blue.
7. Portion the batter equally between the muffin tins.
8. If using two baking pans, place so they are staggered for even baking.
Start checking for done at 25 minutes, a bamboo or wooden tester won't work here.
Muffins are done when they spring back with a light touch.
9. Remove muffins from their tins and cool on a wire cake rack.
As there are no preservatives, these need to be frozen for best storage. A resealable freezer bag works great.