Recipe by Sarah Phillips and Kelly Hong; Food styling and photos by Kelly Hong © 2011 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Kelly lives in California and just came back from the dollar store with a bounty of fresh mangoes. She called me in New York and exclaimed that she wanted to make something with mangoes in it. I suggested that we create a recipe for a Glazed Mango Mousse Cake similar to the ones I fell in love from my travels to Thailand. We like to use fresh fruit and flavors whenever we can, so we created this tangy rum flavored mango mirror glaze that puts just the right shine on the cake.
FROSTING, ICING, ETC RECIPE HELP
For how to glaze a cake, go to Glazed Mango Mousse Cake.
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 tablespoon cold water
2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups mango nectar; I used Looza brand
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Place the lemon juice, dark rum and water in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the lemon juice mixture. Set it aside to soften.
3. Place the mango nectar in a saucepan, add the sugar and stir. Under medium-high heat, bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
4. Place the softened gelatin in a medium bowl.
5. Then, pour the hot mango nectar mixture over it. Stir until all the gelatin is dissolved.
6. Follow recipe directions in the Glazed Mango Mousse Cake.