Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2001 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Makes 30 Bars
Photo by Orange Piggy © Sarah Phillips
If you like an intense lemon flavor, this recipe is for you! It has a wonderful lemon curd-like filling set on a shortbread cookie-like crust.
COOKIE RECIPE HELP
JoEL, Premium Member, via email: "Hi Sarah - I did double the recipe. They came out great...The best Lemon Bars ever!!!"
When mixing the sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, with the eggs for the filling, make sure you do not create a lot of air bubbles in it.
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, spoon into measuring cup and level to rim, divided
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted; measure and then, sift
1 cup (2 sticks or 16 tablespoons) butter, cold; cut into 1 tablespoon-size pieces
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon peel
Powdered sugar, sifted
Make the crust:
1. Position an oven shelf to the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour and powdered sugar.
3. Toss the butter pieces into the flour mixture. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly.
Firmly press mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Set on a wire cake rack to cool.
NOTE: Do NOT turn off the oven. You will need it to be able to bake the crust with its filling in the next steps.
Make the filling:
1. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
3. Add in the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel to the eggs, and mix until combined.
4. Whisk the flour and baking powder mixture into the egg mixture.
5. Pour batter over crust.
SARAH SAYS: The crust's temperature can range from very warm or already cooled.
1. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until set.
2. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate for a few hours, preferably overnight.
3. Cut into bars, and sprinkle evenly with additional powdered sugar.
Bars must be kept refrigerated. Keeps for about 2 to 3 days.