Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2012 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
I love the way Heather Carlucci-Rodriguez, from Print, New York City makes flan, and then folds it with zesty lime curd. She tops perfectly with summery touches of fresh blueberries and watermelon sorbet. You could use any flavor of citrus curd, and choose your favorite fruit; the flavor choice combinations are endless. I picked this recipe to share with you because it has an interesting secret ingredient added to ensure that is it creamy and holds its shape.
CUSTARD RECIPE HELP
A small amount of cream cheese is added to the flan recipe. It contains emulsifiers to lend firmness and a smooth texture, and gums to ensure the recipe will hold its shape. It's an interesting and creative choice.
1 recipe Watermelon or Cantaloupe Sorbet; use Watermelon Sorbet
1/2 recipe Lime Curd
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whole or 2% milk
4 ounces cream cheese
3 large eggs
1 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon water
1. Position an oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick oil. Set aside.
2. Combine the sweetened condensed milk, milk, cream cheese, and eggs in a blender and purée until smooth. Pour into a 9-inch round cake pan.
3. Set a large roasting pan or sheet pan with high sides in the oven and place the cake pan inside it. Fill the larger pan with water until it comes about halfway up the sides of the smaller pan.
4. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until just set. (The flan should wiggle when gently shaken.) Remove cake pan from oven and set aside to cool on a wire cake rack for about an hour. Refrigerate after that; flan is perishable.
Keep refrigerated for 2 to 3 days. Does not freeze.
1. Combine the blueberries, sugar, and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Cook until the berries begin to release liquid but are still whole, about 5 minutes.
3. Set aside to cool.
Press a piece of plastic wrap on its surface and refrigerate for a few days.
1. Combine 2 cups of flan with 1 cup of lime curd and whisk well.
2. Divide among 6 small glasses or serving bowls and cover with a layer of blueberries. Top with watermelon sorbet.