Recipe by Kelly Hong © 2009 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
A few of the kids coming to my birthday party have to eat a gluten and milk-free (casein free) diet.
Since I am serving pie and ice cream, I was trying to come up with something that they could eat.
I really LOVE haupia...which is a delish Hawaiian coconut pudding that has no milk in it. I knew I had tasted haupia ice cream in Hawaii, so I looked for a recipe.
I adapted a recipe I found online, to really punch up the flavor, and it is absolutely DELISH!
FROZEN RECIPE HELP
2 cans (13.5 ounces each) coconut milk (NOT sweetened coconut cream)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
1. In a small bowl, whisk about a 1/4c. coconut milk with the 2 tablespoons cornstarch and set aside.
2. Combine remaining coconut milk with the sugar, in a saucepan.
3. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to dissolve sugar.
4. Bring mixture to a boil and then stir in the cornstarch mixture.
5. -Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, till mixture thickens.
6. Remove pan from heat and stir in extracts.
7. Pour mixture into a bowl.
8. -Cool mixture over an ice water bath until cold, or place in the refrigerator(covered with plastic wrap), till cold.
9. Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturers directions.
10. Add chopped coconut to the ice cream during the last few minutes of churning.
11. Place ice cream in an airtight freezer container to harden.
You may serve this with a bit of toasted coconut on top. YUMMY!