Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
I am occasionally asked for a flax seed bread recipe. Good ones are hard to find, but I like this one. I made it when I attended "Canola Oil Camp" in Canada a few years past. Here, along with other invited US cookbook authors, we baked all sorts of recipes. Flax meal can be purchased from a health food store or you can grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder for immediate use. Grind enough for this recipe, as it goes rancid quickly. I have adapted this recipe from the Canola Information Service; posted with permission.
BREAD RECIPE HELP
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup flax meal
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water and sugar and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until yeast is dissolved. Combine buttermilk, canola oil, molasses and syrup and set aside. Blend 3 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour and salt, and also set aside.
2. When the yeast has dissolved, stir in the buttermilk mixture and flax meal. A cupful at a time, stir in flour mixture to form a sticky dough.
3. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes while working in the remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour. The dough may need more or less flour, but stop when the dough is still slightly sticky.
4. Put in oiled bowl, turn to oil top and let rise until double in size. Punch down, divide in half and either shape into round loaves on sheets or put into two, 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans. Let rise again.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove loaves to cooling rack when done. Combine a mixture of 1 tablespoon melted butter and 1 tablespoon maple syrup and brush baked loaves. After 10 minutes, remove the loaves from their pans to cool thoroughly on a rack.
Per slice (16 slices): calories 202; fat 2.6g (saturated 0.3g, m 1.2g, p 0.8g), cholesterol 0.5mg; protein 6.5g; carbohydrate 39.4g; fiber 3.9g; iron 2.4 g; sodium 308.4 mg; calcium 39.5 mg