Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
My husband's fraternal grandmother was a great cook and baker. This simple and easy cherry pie recipe from her is always a big hit with my family.
PIE RECIPE HELP
3 pints (6 cups) fresh sour cherries, stemmed, rinsed and pitted or canned, unsweetened pitted red tart cherries (about 4 cups), drained
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Crust and Topping
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and place a baking sheet on the rack. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch Pyrex pie pan.
2. When all of the cherries have been pitted, place water into a nonreactive (heavy-bottomed, non-aluminum) saucepan and add 1 cup of the cherries and sugar. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted and the mixture is very liquid, about 5 minutes.
3. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and whisk the cherry and sugar mixture into it. Return to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat, until it comes to a boil, thickens and becomes clear. If it does not become clear, continue to cook over low heat for an additional few minutes until it does. Pour into a large bowl and stir in the remaining filling ingredients, except the cherries, then add the remaining cherries. Set aside while making crust.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and oatmeal. Set aside.
5. Under low heat, on a stovetop, melt butter in a small saucepan. When done, and remove from heat. Stir in brown sugar. Then, add in flour mixture. Pinch a small amount of mixture and it should slick together. Correct with flour or melted butter.
6. Take 7/8s of the pie crust and pat into pan as far up the sides as allows. Pour in filling. Top with remaining 1/8 crumbled pie crust. Place on heated baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until cherries bubble. Remove from oven and cool on wire cake rack.
Store pie at room temperature for a few days. If the weather is hot, store in the refrigerator.