Recipe by CYNDI65, Premium Member © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Cake and photo by Cyndi65
CYNDI65 SAYS: I frosted the Maple Spice Pink Rose Cake with Cyndi's Buttercream Dream - Maple Flavored. How to make the buttercream rose swirls.
FROSTING, ICING, ETC RECIPE HELP
8 cups powdered sugar, sifted; measure and then, sift
2 Tablespoons Dream Whip (powdered whipping cream normally found in the baking aisle of your grocery store)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups Crisco
1/2 cup evaporated milk (can use regular milk if you desire, but evaporated is better); divided
2 Tablespoons Vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon Butter extract
Experiment with other flavors!
Instead of 3 teaspoons vanilla, you can add 2 T vanilla extract and 1 T of another flavor extract. I often do it this way and use 1T of butter extract.
or, 1 Tablespoon maple extract , optional - for maple flavor (sometimes I add about a Tablespoon of pure maple surup, if you do that, decrease the maple extract to 1-2 tsps)
1. Combine the powdered sugar, dream whip and salt. Sift and set aside.
2. Beat the Crisco shortening until softened. Add 2 tablespoons evaporated milk and vanilla extract, and mix ON MEDIUM until creamy.
3. Add in half of the powdered sugar/dream whip mixture and beat well on MEDIUM. Add in 1/2 of the remaining evaporated milk. Mix until creamy ON MEDIUM.
4. Add in the other half of the powdered sugar/dream whip mixture and beat well ON MEDIUM-HIGH.
5. Add in enough of the remaining evaporated milk and beat well on MEDIUM-HIGH until a creamy frosting is achieved.
Niky: This is the White Velvet Butter Cake filled with strawberry jam and Cyndi's buttercream, covered with fondant.