Recipe by Squirrelly Cakes, Premium Member © 2006 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
This is my all-time favorite combination, especially for Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas time.
It has a wonderful tart-sweet element and I usually make several loaves at Christmas time as the colors are wonderful for that time of year.
QUICK-BREAD RECIPE HELP
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
3/4 cup mashed, very ripe bananas (about 2 or 3 medium sized)
1 cup chopped cranberries, fresh or frozen, no need to defrost
1. Position an oven shelf in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Place sugar and then, melted and cooled butter in your mixing bowl and fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on low speed until just combined.
Add 1 egg and beat on low speed until smooth
4. Add second egg and beat in low until smooth. Add in the bananas and cranberries and beat on low until just combined.
5. Unclamp the mixer bowl. Add the flour and dry ingredients all at once to banana mixture stirring only to moisten, do not over stir.
6. Pour into a greased 9- x 5- x 3- inch loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or until it tests with just a couple of moist crumbs on your toothpick, no wet batter.
7. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes and remove to rack to cool completely.
Wrap cooled Banana Bread with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for a day or two; refrigerate after that so it won't mold. If it is humid, refrigerate the bread, so it won't mold.
This bread freezes nicely, wrapped in plastic wrap and then sealed in an airtight container, for a month or more.