Recipe by Sarah Phillips and Anita Chu © 2007 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
This buttercream is based on a rich custard base that is beaten until fluffy. This is a rich frosting and filling of your dreams.
FROSTING, ICING, ETC HELP
Recipe used with the:
Coffee-Pecan Mini Eclairs Recipe
1/2 cup whole or 2% milk
1 tablespoon espresso extract flavoring or vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar, divided
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks or 16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
1. Combine espresso flavoring and milk with about 1/4 cup of the sugar in a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer.
2. Combine the remaining sugar with the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. While still whisking, pour in about half of the hot milk mixture to temper the eggs.
3. Pour the egg mixture back in the saucepan and stir the mixture together. Add in the salt.
4. Place saucepan back on medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Reduce the heat to low and cook the mixture for about 4 more minutes, still stirring.
5. Strain the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the mixture with whisk attachment on medium speed until it has cooled to just warm.
The buttercream is perishable. Store in the refrigerator for a day or two. Rebeat with a whisk. Does not freeze well.
6. Slowly add in the butter, a few pieces at a time, while the mixer is still whisking. When all the butter has been added, whisk on high for about a minute to make the buttercream as light as possible.
Custard is perishable; keep refrigerated. Keeps for a few days. Does not freeze well.