Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2012 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
I love chocolate macaroons. I like to add a touch of orange extract to mine, especially when paired with chocolate. They're perfect if you need to follow a gluten-free diet. I sometimes add in 1/2 cup dried craisins (cranberries) or cherries to mine.
COOKIE RECIPE HELP
barbaby, Premium Member, Says: "Thank you Sarah,
Made these and they were fantastic. My friend loved them and said they were better than any store bought macaroons she had ever purchased. I will definitely make these again.u Sarah,"
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch evenly sized pieces; or semisweet chocolate chips
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted; spoon into measuring cup and level, and then sift
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 teaspoon orange extract, optional
Pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups unsweetened or sweetened shredded coconut
1. Position one oven shelf in the lower and the other in the upper third of the oven. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
2. Bring a small saucepan of water just to a boil. Remove from the heat. Place chocolate in a small bowl, and set over the saucepan, making sure it does not touch the water beneath. Stir until chocolate is melted, and set aside to cool. Stir before using.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and orange extracts, and salt. Stir in the coconut and melted and cooled chocolate, making sure the mixture is well combined. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
4. Dampen hands with cold water. Form 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into a loose haystack shape, and place on prepared baking sheet, about 1 1/2-inches apart. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Bake one sheet at a time until just firm to the touch but still soft in the middle and shiny, about 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Remove baking sheet from oven to a wire rack, and let cool on baking sheet.
Store airtight at room temperature up to 2 days.