Recipe by Sarah Phillips © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Whether you serve it plain or fancy, a Pound cake is so versatile. It can be served as a simple, unadorned dessert with a bowl of fresh fruit. This cake is adorned with Maple Glaze. Another way is my favorite: serving pound cake lightly toasted with a scoop of ice cream on the side, such as my Toasted Pound Cake with Grapefruit and Vanilla Curd. You can also brush with jam and top with orange peel or drizzle glaze or fudge sauce over when serving. Plus, for decorating, a Pound cake makes a perfect cake to cover with Rolled Fondant, because it is sturdy.
CAKE RECIPE HELP
sweets addore, Premium Member, Says: "By the way the (Butter Pecan Cream Cheese Pound Cake) Cupcakes were a hit last week! thanks!"
Cream cheese gives this cake extra richness and helps make it especially moist and yummy.
2 cups unbleached or bleached all-purpose flour; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter; can be cold from the refrigerator
One 8-ounce package cream cheese; I prefer Philadelphia Brand
1 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon maple extract or 2 tablespoons rum
6 large eggs; can be cold from the refrigerator
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (not toasted), optional
NOTES: To toast nuts, spread in a single layer on cookie sheet and bake 5-10 minutes in a 350 degree oven, stirring occassionally. Watch closely to avoid overbrowning.
1. Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup tube or Bundt pan.
SARAH SAYS: I like to use Baker's Grease to grease the pan with. Or, grease the pan with shortening and dust with Wondra, Instatized Flour. Tap out excess flour.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until softened and add the white sugar at the side of the bowl, and then, the dark brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Add in the cream cheese and beat until light and fluffy about 3 minutes more. Make sure you stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl often with a large rubber spatula.
4. With the mixer on low, beat in the orange peel, vanilla, maple extract and then, four eggs, one at a time, beating for 20 seconds after each addition or until well incorporated and the batter is smooth.
5. With the mixer on low, beat in one-third of the flour mixture, and when absorbed, add in the fifth egg, and beat until smooth. Repeat with one-third of the flour and the sixth egg. Beat in the last one-third of the flour and mix until absorbed.
6. Stop the mixer and unclamp the mixing bowl. FOLD IN the chopped pecans and optionally, the coconut. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
7. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until the cake is browned, cracked on top, and a long thin wooden skewer inserted in the middle emerges with a few moist crumbs attached but not batter.
When using two 9 x 2-inch pans, bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Cool the cake in the pan for about 10 minutes on a wire cake rack, and then unmold. Turn upright to cool completely.
Optionally, glaze before serving.
Pound cakes keep well for a few days, well-wrapped at room temperature. They also freeze well for a month or more.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon orange peel, optional
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon maple extract or 1 tablespoon rum
1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted, optional
NOTES: To toast coconut, spread in a single layer on cookie sheet and bake 7 - 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven, stirring occasionally. Watch closely to avoid overbrowning.
1. In small saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar. Bring to boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
2. Remove from heat, stir in powdered sugar, hot water, orange peel, if using, and vanilla and maple extracts. Stir until desired consistency.
3. Spoon over cooled cake. Sprinkle immediately with toasted coconut.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Cream Cheese Pound Cake