Recipe by msbreez, Premium Member © 2008 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com
Variation: Turtle Brownie Cookies
Cookies and photo by Orange Piggy © Sarah Phillips
MSBREEZ SAYS: "Inspired by Sarah, I created a recipe to satisfy a chocolate craving I was having! I wanted chocolate cookies that were thick and chewy, slightly crispy on the outside yet moist and fudgy inside. I couldn't decide if these should be a cookie brownie, or a brownie cookie. Please try this and let me know what you think! Thanks!!!"
msbreez was the First Runner up WINNER with this recipe in the Bittersweet Baking Contest on thekitch.com! CONGRATS!
COOKIE RECIPE HELP
1/2 cup (1 stick or 8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
2 tablespoons Dutch-process or Natural cocoa powder; spoon into measuring cup and level to rim
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1. Position an oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Melt butter and pour over chopped chocolate. Let sit a couple minutes then gently stir until blended and smooth.
3. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift together to blend. Set aside.
4. Lightly whisk eggs together. Don't whisk air into them. Add vanilla, corn syrup, sugar and brown sugar. Stir to blend, don't whisk air into mixture.
5. Add chocolate/butter mixture and stir. Note: I try to ensure the temperature of egg batter and chocolate is about the same.
6. Fold in flour mixture until just combined. Batter is thick.
7. Place scoops onto parchment paper and bake for 13-15 minutes. Cookies will be puffy and have large cracks that should look slightly moist, not wet.
MSBREEZ SAYS: I used a #40 scoop, it made 1 oz size balls of dough and they were done at 15 minutes.
Cool completely on wire cake racks.
Turtle Brownie Cookies
INGREDIENTS & INSTRUCTIONS
Fold in flour mixture until ALMOST combined and then, fold in:
Add 1/2 cup caramel bits (you could cut caramels into small pieces, then measure)
Add 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans, toast, chop, measure
Cookie dough formed on baking sheet.