Copyright © 2000 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2000 Sarah Phillips Sarah Phillips, Inc. All rights reserved.
Learn how to make strawberry heart fans! They make a beautiful and tasty garnish atop recipes. We show you how to glaze them so the strawberries remain shiny and juices from their cut surfaces will bleed less, but they can also be left unglazed.
This how to baking technique is used with the "I Heart Strawberries" Cupcakes Recipe Tutorial, the Chocolate Banana Heart Tartlets Recipe Tutorial, and the Valentine’s Day Chocolate Cookie Stacks recipe.
HOW TO TIPS
1 whole strawberry per cupcake or garnish
1. Remove the leaves from each strawberry by gently pulling them off with your fingers.
2. Cut a v-shaped notch in the top of the strawberry, remove core.
3. Cut a thin section off the outer face of each side of the strawberry, perpendicular to the notch you just cut.
4. With the strawberry positioned point DOWN, gently cut thin slices, less than 1/4" thick , but DO NOT go all the way to the bottom of the strawberry. Each of the slices should still be connected at the point of the strawberry.
KELLY CA SAYS: I am holding the strawberry like this, just to show how deep your cuts should go.
5. Gently fan out the slices and place them on a plate.
GLAZE THE BERRY FANS AND TOP THE CUPCAKES
The glaze will make your strawberries beautiful and shiny.
BERRY GLAZE RECIPE
3 tablespoons strawberry jelly
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Glaze the berry fans:
A. Take the strawberry jelly, add the lemon juice to it, and stir.
B. Heat this mixture in the microwave on low for about 15 seconds, or until the jelly is melted.
C. Paint each strawberry fan with a little of the melted strawberry jelly.
2. Place glazed strawberry fan on your cupcake and add a few mint leaves for garnish, if desired.