Copyright © 2000 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com All rights reserved.
I developed the Healthy Oven Mixing Method, and wrote about it in my Healthy Oven Baking Book, by Sarah Phillips, Doubleday, 1999. The dry and wet PLUS sugar ingredients are mixed separately and then combined and blended until the dry ingredients just become moist. The wet, typically including fruit purees, such as applesauce) PLUS sugar ingredients are beaten until frothy for better aeration, before being combined with the dry. Other Mixing Methods.
This method also includes the Healthy Oven Reduced-Fat Creaming Mixing Method. See also LEARN HEALTHY BAKING
1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and dry ingredients (except sugar), such as the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
Optionally, after measuring, first sift together these ingredients and then, whisk together.
2. In another medium bowl, place the sugar and wet ingredients, such as the sugar, dark brown sugar, buttermilk, applesauce, eggs, oil and vanilla.
3. Using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat the mixture until lightened and frothy, about 1 minute.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce mixture.
5. Using a spoon, stir until almost combined.
The batter will be thick, and there should be a few traces of flour remaining. Do not overmix.