Copyright © 2000 Sarah Phillips CraftyBaking.com All rights reserved.
A cake topped with heart-shaped cut strawberries always looks so pretty and luscious! Want to know how to make them?
This is used with the Fresh Strawberries and Cream Cake Tutorial Recipe
Make Strawberry Hearts to Use as a Garnish
1. Take a whole washed and dried strawberry in your hands and pull off the leaves.
2. Take a sharp paring knife and cut a V-shaped notch on top of the berry and remove the berry's core.
3. Trim a thin slice off of both sides of the strawberry, revealing the heart shape. You can place the scraps in a bowl and eat them later. No sense wasting them!
4. Slice the rest of the strawberry into thin heart shapes, less than 1/4-inch thick.
5. Cut all remaining berries in this manner and go through the berries, setting aside the most beautiful hearts for the top of your cake. Save at least 16 perfect hearts for the top of your cake, place them on a plate and cover with plastic wrap, till you are ready to use them.
How to Make Strawberry Hearts Compote
1. If you want to use strawberry hearts as a compote, gently place the rest of the hearts in a bowl and add the sugar and lemon juice and mix them, VERY GENTLY with your hands.
You do not want to break the hearts! Refrigerate hearts until using.