Copyright © 2000 Sarah Phillips Sarah Phillips, Inc. All rights reserved.
Alcoholic beverages are used as a flavoring in recipes. It also adds in liquid.
The following chart data comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture with information on how much alcohol remains in your food with specific cooking and baking methods. Keep in mind that this is the percentage of alcohol remaining of the original addition.
Preparation Method / Percent Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat / 85%
alcohol flamed / 75%
no heat, stored overnight / 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture / 45%
baked/simmered dishes with alcohol stirred into mixture:
- 15 minutes cooking time / 40%
- 30 minutes cooking time / 35%
- 1 hour cooking time / 25%
- 1.5 hours cooking time / 20%
- 2 hours cooking time / 10%
- 2.5 hours cooking time / 5%